Guide Site Login
Please enter password to view the guide site
For more information on opportunities for current Guides to refresh and build skills as both sea kayakers and as outdoor educators see: Sea Kayak Skills Training
This National Weather Service site has excellent hourly conditions reports.
If you have a Mac, we recommend a free download of Ayes Tides for Mac for location-specific tides and currents predictions. If you have an iPhone or iPad, we recommend a download of Aye Tides, the equivalent program for your mobile device.
The Guide Manual covers all the essential information you need to be a Guide on an ETC Sea Kayak Trip. From policies to rescues, Guide roles to specific trip and equipment logistics, it’s all in here! PDF versions of each chapter are available here for online viewing or download at your convenience.
• Chapter 1: ETC Organization Information
• Chapter 2: Roles of Guides and Trip Leaders
• Chapter 3: Sea Kayak Program Trips
• Chapter 4: Policies and Procedures (revised 2023)
• Chapter 5: Equipment
• Chapter 6: Sea Kayak Skills
• Chapter 7: Adaptive Sea Kayaking
The Education and Activities Manual is packed full of resources you can use to provide educational and fun trips for your groups. This manual provides an overview of natural and human history, and includes instructions for many games and activities that can enhance your trip. This manual is designed to provide background information that complements the portable, laminated educational materials found at our field locations.
If you’re feeling rusty, attending an ETC Skills Refresher is the best way to brush up on your kayaking hard skills. If the timing doesn’t work out for that, or if you want to refresh your memory in advance of a Skills Refresher, the following videos provide great visualizations of key strokes and rescues that you should be comfortable with.
• ETC Boat, Paddle, and Safety Talks (in English)
• ETC Boat, Paddle, and Safety Talks (in Spanish)
• Forward Stroke (Focus on the low-angle touring stroke)
• Back Stroke
• Sweep Strokes
• Low Brace
• High Brace
• Paddle Float Self Rescue
• Assisted Rescues (Focus on the “side sit re-entry” method)
• Heel Hook (Used in an assisted rescue)
• Scramble Re-Entry
2022 Health Form and Liability Release
(Sea Kayak Program Manager)
Phone: 415-474-7662 ext. 13